Nautical Themed Flared-Rim Banjo
The “Binnacle” banjo is highly customized for a former Navy man. The inlays will be the first thing to stand out on this banjo. The Seahorse Peghead, rope with 8 sailing knots on the fretboard ending in a brass anchor on the frailing scoop and the compass rose on the resonator, are inlaid into the ebony and highly figured maple with abalone, white and gold mother-of-pearl and brass, telling a whimsical story of the sailing life.
But there is far more to this banjo that the bling. The Flared-Rim design produces a rich, complex tone with the help of a turned brass tone ring and gains some extra volume with a mini-resonator, which is easily adjustable to dial in just the right resonance and easily removable for the authentic open-back sound. Speaking of adjustability, it also features Weitzel Banjo’s adjustable neck-to-rim connection, allowing for the action to be changed without messing with the coordinator rods (which don’t exist on this banjo anyways!) or truss rod.
It is rounded out with features like a frailing scoop, Weitzel’s innovative 6-10 bridge design, a tunneled 5th string and a visually connected armrest and tailpiece. Weighing in at exactly 8lbs, it is light enough to save the back, but solid enough to pack a full-volumed punch. Check out all the Specs below!
- 5 strings
- Tunneled fifth string
- Curly Maple neck
- Ebony fretboard
- 17 frets, EVO Gold wire
- Frailing Scoop
- MOP and Brass Inlays – Nautical Knots
- Tuners – Patina’d Brass 4:1 Planetary Tuners
- Neck to Rim connection: Adjustable
- 26 3/16″ Scale length
- Old growth maple, block construction.
- Brass Ring tone ring
- Top Tension brass stretcher bar
- Flared design – 11″ head flared to 12.5″
- Integral, hidden “shoes”
- Curly maple panel, 1/4″ x 12.5″
- 4 aperture adjustment screws (adjusts from 1/16″ to 5/8″)
- Compass Rose Inlay – Abalone and MOP
- Bronze Tailpiece With Curly Maple, MOP and Abalone Inlays
- Curly Maple Armrest with MOP and Abalone Inlays
- Bridge – 6-10 design (6 Feet, 10 direct vibrational paths to the head)
Overall Weight: 8lb, (3.6kg)